Chief of the Division of General Otolaryngology
Hampton Oaks ENT Clinic
Return Patient Appointments
- Phone: (352) 265-9465
- Fax: (352) 265-9466
ENT Call Center
New Patient Appointments
- Phone: (352) 265-0920
- Fax: (352) 627-4411
- Phone: (352) 273-5199
- Fax: (352) 392-6781
Clinical & Research Interests
- The delivery of health care to underserved and at-risk populations
- Rhinologic and Endoscopic Sinus surgery
- Sleep surgical techniques, including Maxillo-Mandibular Jaw Surgery
- Head and Neck Ablative Oncological Surgery
- Anterior skull base surgical resections with special interest in the nasopharynx
- Microvascular Surgical Reconstruction: Introduced Microvascular Flap Reconstruction Program at King / Drew Medical Center in 1999
- Minimally invasive surgical approaches to the head and neck – Trans-Oral Surgical Techniques
- Maxillofacial surgical techniques
Fellowship in Advanced Head and Neck Oncological Surgery, and Advanced Surgical Techniques for OSA
Stanford University School of Medicine. Stanford, CA.
Fellowship in Clinical Pharmacology
University of California. Los Angeles, CA.
Resident in Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
Charles R. Drew University Medical Center. Los Angeles, CA.
George Washington University School of Medicine. Washington, D.C.
Graduated with Doctor of Medicine degree.
Howard University College of Dentistry. Washington, D.C.
Graduated with Doctor of Dental Surgery degree.
New York University. New York City, NY.
Graduated with Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology/Political Science.
New York Medical College. New York City, NY.
Graduated with Honors in Gross Anatomy.
- Brown, J.J., Berry, G.J., Moretto, J., Keating, W.F., Fee, W.E.: Validity of Clinical Biopsies in Recurrent Nasopharyngeal Carcinomas. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. 123:950-955, 1997.
- Lee, H.T., Brown, J.J., Fee, W.E.: Baro-reflex Dysfunction following Nasopharyngectomy and Bilateral Carotid Isolation. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. 123:434-436,1997.
- Brown, J.J., Choi, E.C., Fee, W.E.: Nasopharyngectomy for Recurrent High Grade Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma. Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery. 120 (4):564-566, 1999.
- Kanamori, G., Guillaume A., Brown J.J.: Dento Alveolar Trauma: In Facial Plastic Clinics of North America, (7) 2, pages 205-211, 1999.
- Kanamori, G.S., Witter, M.M., Brown J.J.: Head and Neck Manifestations in Down Syndrome Patients: In Otolaryngology Clinics of North America, (33) 6, pages 1285-92, Dec 2000.
- Brown, J.J., Ijaduola, T.G.: Surgery and Religiosity. JNMA. 93(3): 109-112, 2001
- Brown, J.J., Qin, M., William-Smith, L., et al: Identification of differentially expressed genes in HPV-16 infected Oral cancer cells. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 124: 663-668; 2001.
- Brown, J.J, Mohamed, H. Williams-Smith L.M. et al: Primary Hyperparathyroidism secondary to Simultaneous Bilateral Parathyroid Carcinoma. Ear, Nose and Throat Journal 81(6) 395-401, 2002.
- Osborne, R. Avitia, S., Zandifer, H., Brown, J.J.: Adult Supraglottitis Subsequent to Smoking Crack Cocaine. Ear Nose and Throat Journal. 82 (1):53-55; 2003.
- Brown, J.J., Xu, X., Mohamed, H., Osborne, R., Teklehaimanot, S., Gill, G., Liu, X.; Potential Biomarkers for Head & Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Laryngoscope 113: 393-400, 2003.
- Brown, J.J., Xu, H, Williams-Smith, L., et al: Metallothionein, Expression as a Potential Prognostic Marker for Laryngeal SCCA. Cellular and Molecular Biology (online), 49:OL473-OL479, 2003.
- Ghoneum, M., Grewal, I., Brown, J.J., et al: Phagocytosis of Candida Albicans by Lymphatic Tumor Cells in vitro. Acta Histochemica 105 (2):127-133, 2003.
- Osborne, R., Brown J.J.: Carcinoma of the Oral Pharynx: An Analysis of subsite treatment heterogeneity: In Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America, 31:71-80, Jan 2004.
- Zhang, Q., Wu, Y., Zhang Z. F., Rao J. Y., Brown J., Messadi DV, and Le, AD. Treatment with siRNA and Antisense oligonucleotides targeted to HIF-1a induced apoptosis in tongue squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Cancer Res, published ahead of print (10.1002/ijc.20334), 2004.
- Ghoneum M., Saglie R., Brown J.J., Regala C. Actinobacillus Actinomycetemcomitans Suppresses Rat Natural Killer Cell Activity in vivo. Acta Otolaryngologica 124:621-627, 2004.
- Hamilton J., Avitia S., Osborne R., Brown J.J., Radiation-induced sarcoma of the base of the tongue. Ear Nose Throat Journal. 83 (11):741-742, 2004.
- Hamilton J., Osborne R., Brown J.J., A Rare Case of Rapidly Progressive Craniofacial Chondrosarcoma. Ear Nose Throat Journal. 84(1):18-20, 2005.
- Ghoneum M., Hamilton J., Brown J.J., Gollapudi S: Human squamous cell carcinoma of tongue and colon undergoes apoptosis upon phagocytosis of Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (the bakers, in vitro. Anticancer Res 25(2A):981-9, 2005.
- Hamilton J., Avitia S., Osborne R., Brown JJ: Dedifferentiated cervical Liposarcoma. Ear Nose Throat Journal. 84(11): 696-706, 2005.
- Zhang Q., Tang X., Lu QH, Zhang ZF, Brown JJ. Le AD: Resveratrol inhibits Hypoxia-induced accumulation of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha and VEGF expression in human tongue squamous cell carcinoma and hepatoma cells. Mol Cancer Ther 4(10) 2005.
- Tang X., Zhang Q., Nishitani J., Brown JJ., Shi .,S., Le A.: Over-expression of human papillomavirus type 16 oncoproteins enhances hypoxia-inducible factor 1 alpha protein accumulation and VEGF expression in Squamous cell carcinomas. Clin Cancer Res 13(9): 2007.
- Da Costa, R. Wei, T. Krasieva, Brown JJ, Wong BJ: Non-destructive imaging of live human Keloid and facial tissue using Multiphoton Microscopy. Arch Facial Plast Surg 10 (1): 2008.
- Brown J.J., Fee W.E.: Management of the Neck in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma: In Otolaryngology Clinics of North America 5(31) 785-802, 1998.
- Zhang Q., Shi S., Yen Y., Brown JJ, Ta J., Le AD: A subpopulation of CD133* cancer stem-like cells characterized in human oral squamous cell carcinoma confer resistance to chemotherapy. Cancer Letters 289(2)151-160: 2010
- Zhang Q., Yamaza T., Kelly P., Shi S., Wang S., Brown JJ, Wang L., French S., Shi S., Le AD. Tumor-like stem cells derived from human keloid are governed by the inflammatory niche driven by IL-17/IL-6 avis, PloS ONE 2009; 4:e7798.
- Brown JJ, Fee WE: Surgical Resection of the Nasopharynx. In: Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery. Michael Friedman (Ed). WB Saunders, Publisher. 21(1) 26-34: 2010.
- Rosenburg TL, Brown JJ, Jefferson GD.: Evaluating the adult patient with a neck mass. Med Clin North Am 94(5): 1017-29; 2010.
- Fortson J K, Brown JJ; Patel VG, Lawrence GE, Rosenthal M: Pathologic fracture of the femur as a presenting sign of metastatic follicular carcinoma of the thyroid. The American Surgeon 2010; 76(8): 137-8.
- Prosser JD, Solares, CA, Brown JJ: Robotic Trans-oral Resection of the Submandibular Gland. Journal of Robotic Surgery 7(1): 2013.
- Brown JJ, Harbarger CF. Trans-oral Submandibular Gland Resection, the Province of the Otolaryngologist, Head and Neck Surgeon. The Georgia ENTertainer, vol.1: 2013.
- Ho B, Jang D, Van Rompaey J, Figueroa R, Brown J.J., Carrau R, Solares C. Landmarks for the Transnasal Endoscopic Approach to the Parapharyngeal Internal Carotid Artery: A Radiographic and Cadaveric Study, Laryngoscope 2014 Jan 21 doi: 10. 1002/lary.24601.
- Mason E, Gurrola J, Reyes C, Brown JJ, Figueroa R, Solares A.: Analysis of the petrous portion of the Carotid Artery: landmarks for an endoscopic approach. Laryngoscope 2014 Jan 20 doi: 10. 1002/lary.24594.
- Bhatt N, Perakis H, Brown JJ: Transoral Excision of the Submandibular Gland. Laryngoscope. 2010: 120: Suppl 4.
- Jefferson G, Brown JJ, Le A, Zhang Q: Potential adjunctive surgical therapy for cervicofacial keloid scar (Giant Keloid) using Green Tea Extract an Epigallocatechin-3-gallate. Radiotherapy and Oncology 82; (1) 2007.
- Segel J, Brown JJ: Trans-Oral Submandibular Gland Excision: A review of 43 cases. Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery; 151:Suppl 2014.
- Hughes CA, Brown JJ: Pediatric Trans-oral submandibular gland excision: A safe and effective technique. Intl J Peds Otolaryngol 93:13-16, 2016.
- Rabatic B, Zaenger D, ByrdJ, Groves, Brown J, Mourad W. Quantitative dose changes due to anatomic and volumetric variances of the parotid glands during concurrent head and neck therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 96(2s) E673 2016.
- Nettles M, Pishgou M, Solares C, Brown J, Byrd K, Groves M, Mourad W. Head and Neck Lymphedema: Reducing a growing problem. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 96(2S) E507, 2016.
- Rabatic B, Zaenger D, Groves M, Byrd K, Brown J, Mourad W. Dynamic changes of major salivary glands during head and neck intensity modulated radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 96(2S) E391, 201637.
- MB, Ellis M, Reyes S, Pearson WG, Brown JJ: Morphometric analysis of swallowing mechanism after surgery for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. ENT Journal 97: 122-27; 2018.
- Gupta S, Walker J, Brown J, et al: Nomogram identifies age as the most important predictor of overall survival in oral cavity squamous cell cancer after primary surgery. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. DOI 10.1007/s12070-019-01726-7, 2019.
- Brown J.J., Park H.W., Fee W.E.: The Head and Neck: In Fundamentals Of Surgery, J. Niederhuber (Ed), Chapter 33, pages 402-424, 1998.
- Rosenthal M., Brown J.J., Fee W.E.: The Emergency Airway: In Fundamentals of Surgery, J. Niederhuber (Ed), Chapter 10, pages 93-104, 1998.
- Ghoneum M., Brown J.J.: Natural Killer Cell Immunorestoration of Cancer Patients by MGN-3: In Anti-Aging Medical Therapeutics. R Klatz, R. Goldman (Eds) Chap. 30 pages (217-26), 1999.
- Ghoneum M., Brown J.J.: Yeast Therapy for the Treatment of Cancer and its Enhancement by MGN-3/Biobran, an arabinoxylan Rice Bran. In Cell war Signaling and Apoptoins Research. (Ed) Alex R. Drmasi, pp 185-200. 2007.
- Ghoneum M., Brown J.J., Gollapudi, S.: Yeast Therapy for the Treatment of Cancer and its Enhancement by MGN-3/Biobran, an Arabinoxylan Rice Bran. In Cellular Signaling and Apoptosis Research.(Alex Demasi (Eds). Chap.VI Pages 185-200 2007.
- Brown J.J., Jefferson G.D.: Rhinoplasty in Non-Caucasians: In Dermatology for Skin of Color. Paul Kelly, Susan Taylor (Eds). Chap. 75. McGraw-Hill Pub. 2009.
- Jefferson G.D., Brown J.J.: Adjunctive Reduction Cheiloplasty: In Dermatology for Skin of Color. Paul Kelly, Susan Taylor (Eds). Chap. 76 McGraw-Hill Pub 2009.
- Brown J.J., Jefferson, GD: Other surgical procedures in the Head and Neck requiring special attention in patients of color. Paul Kelly, Susan Taylor (Eds) Chap. 77, McGraw-Hill Pub 2009.
- Brown JJ, Yao, M.: Trans-Oral Removal of the Submandibular Gland. In Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery; Michael Friedman (Ed) W. B. Saunders. Pub. 20(2); 2009.
- Le A., Brown J.J.: Wound healing: Repair Biology and Wound and Scar Treatment: In: Current Therapy in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Shahrokh C. Bagheri, Bryan Bell, Hussain Ali Khan (EDs). Elsevier, St. Louis, MO 63146. 2011.
- Prosser JD, Brown J.J.: Frey’s Syndrome: In Encyclopedia of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery. Kountakis S (Ed). Springer Publishing, New York, 2013
- Ho B, Brow J.J.: Minor Salivary Gland Tumors: In Encyclopedia of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery. Kountakis S (Ed). Springer Publishing, New York, 2013.
- Vanbeek-King J, Brown J.J.: Paragangliomas: In Encyclopedia of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery. Kountakis S (Ed). Springer Publishing, New York. 2013.
- Brown J.J., Pang K: Salvage Surgery Techniques for failed UPPP: In Advanced Surgical Techniques in Snoring and Sleep Apnea. Pang KP, Woodson BT, Rotenberg BW (Eds): Plural Publishing Inc.: San Diego, CA. 2013.
- Hughes CA, Brown JJ: Pediatric Transoral Submandibular Gland Excision: A safe and effective technique. Accepted to American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology Meeting, 2014.
- Fisher M, Segel J, Brown JJ: Transoral Submandibular Gland Excision: A review of 43cases. Poster presentation Otolaryngol HNS, p155 2015.
- Pate MB, Ellis M, Reyes S, Pearson WG, Brown JJ. Morphometric Analysis of Swallowing Mechanics after surgery for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. AAOHNS J abstract, page 261; 2015.
- Bright-Asare, P. Enrique, C., Brown, J.J., Yamini, S., Ghoneum, M. Alterations in duodenal mucosal inulin clearance (A measure of mucosal permeability) are mechanism of duodenal ulcer formation by acidified ethanol. Am. Gastroenterol. Assoc., Am. Assoc. Study of liver disease, San Francisco, CA. May 18-21, 1996.
- Brown, J.J., Fee, W.E.: Clinical Biopsies in Recurrent Nasopharyngeal Carcinomas. International Conference on Head & Neck Cancer (Abstract page 221 #607) Toronto, Canada, 1996.
- Ghoneum, M., Higa, T., Brown, J.J., Namatalla, G. and Gill, G. Counteracting toxicity of chemotherapeutic agent (5FU) on Human NK cell activity in vitro with effective microorganism-EMX. 6th Ann. Schweppe Colloquium in the Basic Sciences. Cancer susceptibility genes and cancer gene therapy Oct 28-29, 1996.
- Nishitani, J., Quin, M., Liu, F., Brown, J.J.: Altered gene expression associated with immortalization of Oral Keratinocytes. Dent J Research 80: 549 (Abstract 180) 2001.
- Brown, J.J., Xu, H, Quin, M et al: Potential biomarkers for Head & Neck Squamous Carcinoma Dent, J. Research 80:549 (Abstract) 179, 2001.
- Zhuo, J., Brown, J.J., Gowans, R., Xu, H., Nishitani, J. and Liu, X. Diagnostic Biomarkers for Head and Neck Cancer. 80th General Session of the International Association for Dental Research. Accepted for oral presentation. Abstract #1040 San Diego, CA. March 6-9, 2002.
- Brown, J.J., Xu, H., Williams-Smith, L., et al: Metallothionein Expression is Associated with Increase Head & Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Recurrence (abstract) page 121 #OP-063; 2002.
- Brown, J.J., Xu, H., Smith, L., Mohamed, H., Teklehaimanot, S., Zhuo, J., Liu, F., Nishitani, J., and Liu, X. 2002. Metallothionein Expression is Associated with Increased Head & Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Recurrence. 8th RCMI International Symposium on Health Disparities, Honolulu, HI December 8-December 11, 2002.
- Nishitani, J., Liu, F., Zhang, R., McWilliams, W., Zhuo, J., Brown, J. J., and Liu, X. 2002. The Role of Lead in Oral Keratinocyte Transformation. 94th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research, Toronto, Canada, April 5-April 9, 2003(Presented).
- Xu, H., Brown, J. J., Zhang, R., Regala, C., Smith, L., McWilliams, W., Nishitani, J., and Liu, X. 2003. Over-Expression of Galectin-7 in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Cell Lines Increases Apoptosis. 2003 Annual Meeting of AAO-HNSF, Orlando, FL September 21-September 24, 2003 (Presented).
- Jefferson, G., Hamilton, J., Brown, J.J., Smith, L., Zhang, R., Nishitani, J., and Liu, X. 2003. Heavy Metal Induced Apoptosis in Human Papillomavirus (HPV)-Immortalized Oral Keratinocytes. 2003 Annual Meeting of AAO-HNSF, Orlando, FL; September 21-September 24, 2003 (Presented).
- Brown, J.J., et al: Apoptosis in SCC-9 Cells Induced by Antisense HIF-alpha. Submitted for the IADR/AADR/CADR 82nd General Session. Narita, Japan March 2004. (Presented).
- Brown, J.J., et al: Depletion of HIF-1-Alpha Inhibits Proliferation of Human Tongue SCCA Cell Lines Through and Apoptotic Mechanism. Submitted for Western Section of the Triological Society January 31, 2004 (Presented).
- Jefferson G, Brown J: Resveratrol Inhibition of HIF-1 alpha in tumor cell lines: Indications for cancer therapy. Presented at The American College of Surgeons Annual Meeting, Southern Chapter. Santa Barbara, CA, 2005.
- Regala C, Brown J.J.: Multi-glandular Parathyroid Carcinoma an extremely rare phenomenon. Presented at The American College of Surgeons Annual Meeting, Southern Chapter. Santa Barbara, CA, 2005.
- Da Costa, R. Wei, T., Brown, J.J., Wong, BJ: American Academy of Facial Plastics & Reconstructive Surgery: 9th International Symposium. Paper presentation: “Non- destructive imaging of live human Keloid with the use of Multiphoton Microscopy. Las Vegas, NV. May 1, 2006.
- Caribbean Association of Otolaryngology: Treating the hypopharynx in OSA therapy, Keynote, 2019.
- Perioperative Antibiotics in Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery. American Head & Neck Society, Section, COSM 2018.
- University of Tennessee, Department of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery: “Trans-Oral Submandibular Gland Excision, a safe and sound technique”. Memphis, Tennessee, Grand Rounds Keynote speaker, 2018.
- Jamaican Otolaryngology Society/University of the West Indies: “ Functional Rhinoplasty- an overview of common techniques.” Kingston, Jamaica 2018; Keynote Lecture.
- Combined Spring Otolaryngology Meeting: “Perioperative Antibiotics Prophylaxis in Head & Neck Surgery; current evidence.” National Harbor, MD 2018; Lecture and Panel.
- Department of Otolaryngology, AU: Stryker Cadaver Soft-tissue and Endoscopic Skills Laboratory for Residents. Augusta, GA 2018; Course Instructor.
- Department of Otolaryngology, University of Mississippi, Grand Rounds: “ Current surgical techniques for adult OSA patients.” Jackson, Mississippi 2018; Lecture.
- The Palmetto Medical/Dental/Pharmaceutical Society: HPV associated oropharyngeal cancers, dawn of a new era in head and neck cancer management. Columbia, SC 2017: Keynote Address.
- The Palmetto Medical/Dental/Pharmaceutical Society: Management of Adult Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Columbia, SC 2017; Keynote Lecture.
- Advanced Surgical Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Saint Louis University; St. Louis, MO, 2017: Course Faculty
- Triological Society Combined Sections Meeting: Lecture and Panel Member: “Management of the Oropharynx in Obstructive Sleep Apnea”, New Orleans, LA 2017; Lecture & Panel
- American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Lisbon Portugal: Pediatric Trans-Oral Submandibular Gland Excision, 2016: Oral Presentation
- University of Arkansas School of Medicine: Advanced Surgical Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Keynote Address. Little Rock, AR 2016
- Jamaican Association of Otolaryngologists: 5th Annual Meeting: Current concepts in surgery for Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Keynote Speaker. Kingston, Jamaica 2016
- Advanced Surgical Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Saint Louis University; St. Louis, MO, 2016: Course Faculty
- Combined Spring Otolaryngology Meeting, Triological Society, 119th Meeting: Invited Panel Member: Managing the Complex Tracheotomized Patient (Moderator), San Diego CA, 2016
- AO/ASIF Course: Principles of Operative Treatment of Craniomaxillofacial Trauma and Reconstruction; Los Angeles, CA, 2014: Course Faculty
- Annual Porubsky Academic Day Forum: Head & Neck Section, Georgia Health Sciences University. Augusta, GA, 2014: Moderator
- Charles R. Drew University School of Medicine: Procedural Skills Simulation for Medical Students. Los Angeles, CA. 2012: Course Faculty
- University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston: Department of Otolaryngology Grand Rounds: Minimal Access Surgery. Galveston, TX. 2012: Invited Guest Lecturer
- 115th Annual Meeting of Triological Society: Head & Neck Section, Chicago, IL 2011: Presenter & Moderator
- Florida Society of Otolaryngology/Facial Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery: Trans-Oral Approach to the Resection Submandibular Gland. Naples, Florida 2010.
- Zhejiang University, School of Medicine: Evaluation and Management of the patient with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Keynote Speaker. Hangzhou, China 2010.
- Medical College of Georgia and the University of Pisa, Multidisciplinary Thyroid Symposium: Minimally Invasive and Conventional Surgical Management of Thyroid and Parathyroid Disorders. Augusta, 2010: Course Faculty
- Caribbean Association of Otolaryngology, Annual Convention: Surgical Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Aruba, Netherlands Antilles, 2010: Co-Director
- Medical College of Georgia, School of Medicine: Clinical Evaluation of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Augusta, GA. September 2009.
- Medical College of Georgia, School Of Medicine: Evaluation of the patient with a neck mass. Augusta, GA. November 2009.
- Medical College of Georgia, Department of Neurology Grand Rounds Series: A review of surgical options for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Augusta, GA 2009
- Saint Louis University, Advanced Techniques for Obstructive Sleep Apnea Course: Lectures and Anatomy Dissection Laboratory. St. Louis, MO. 2010. March 2010. Course Faculty
- Medical College of Georgia, Mini medical School Seminars: Cancer Screening in Head & Neck Cancers. Augusta, GA. Fall 2009 Course Faculty
- Medical College of Georgia, Department of Pulmonary Medicine; Grand Rounds Series: Surgical Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Augusta, GA. 2009
- Georgia Society of Otolaryngology Annual Seminar: Management of early stage oral cancers. Atlanta, GA 2009
- Medical College of Georgia, Grand Rounds: “Trans-Oral Resection of the Submandibular Gland” Augusta, Georgia 2009
- Stanford University, Lecture Series: Department of Otolaryngology: “A practical approach to microvascular free tissue transfer” Stanford, CA 2008
- Stanford University, Department of Psychiatry: Grand Rounds Seminar:” Clinical evaluation of the OSA patient anterior to the sleep study” Stanford, CA 2008
- Brown J, Ta J, Shi S, Zhang Q, Le A: YC1 induces apoptosis in SCCA by inhibiting P13K/Akt pathway. American Academy of Otolaryngology: Annual Expo, Washington DC, 2007.
- Zhejiang University, Department of Head and Neck Surgery: “Developing a structured residency training program modeled on the ACGME’s Core Competencies.” Hongzho, People’s Republic of China. April 2007: Keynote Address
- 21st Annual Symposium on Career Opportunities in Biomedical Sciences and health Professions: Minority Health Professions Foundation: “Careers in the Biomedical Science Fields.” Orlando, FL. March 2007: Invited Speaker
- Second Annual International Head & Neck Symposium, Keck School of Medicine and the USC School of Dentistry, University of Southern California: “Biology, Prevention and Management of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma”: Surgical management of recurrent nasopharyngeal carcinoma after radiation failure. Los Angeles, CA. August 4, 2006: Invited Speaker
- American Academy of Facial Plastics & Reconstructive Surgery, 9th International Symposium on Facial Plastic Surgery: “Non-destructive imaging of live human keloid and facial tissue using Multiphoton Microscopy. Las Vegas, NV. May 1, 2006: Paper presentation & Mini-seminar
- American Academy of Facial Plastics & Reconstructive Surgery, 9th International Symposium on Facial Plastic Surgery Focus Leaning opportunities: “Management of Keloids and Hypertrophic Scars.” Las Vegas, NV. May 1, 2006: Course faculty.
- Jamaica Dental Association Convention: “The role of the dental practitioner in the management patients receiving cancer therapy”. Jamaica, W.I. March 2006: Keynote speaker
- Caribbean Association of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery Conference: Reconstruction of a full-thickness labial defect with the submental pedicle flap. Antigua, W.I. 2005: Oral Paper
- University of California at Irvine, Department of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery: Grand Rounds Key Note Speaker: Management of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma after Primary XRT Failure. Irvine, CA. February 23, 2005.
- The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Academic Core Curriculum; Block IV: Problem Based Learning. Los Angeles, CA. 2004: Course Faculty
- Caribbean Association of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery Conference: “Craniofacial Resection for Invasive Sino-Nasal Inverting Papilloma.” Barbados, W.I. 2004: Speaker
- American Laryngological, Rhinologic and Otological Society (aka Triological Society) annual meeting: “Hypoxia Induced Factor One Alpha and Apoptosis”. Scottsdale, AZ, 2004: Presenter
- Caribbean Association of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery, Annual Conference: “Pragmatic Economical Approach to Microvascular Free Tissue Transfer in Head and Neck Reconstruction”: Bermuda, 2003: Keynote Speaker
- Carcinoma of the Nasopharynx: Challenges and New Treatment Philosophies, Southampton Bermuda, 2003: Speaker
- Charles R. Drew University, Department of Surgery Grand Rounds: “Evaluation and Treatment of the Solitary Neck Mass”, Los Angeles, CA, 2004: Speaker
- Caribbean Association of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery & University of the West Indies, School of Medicine: Annual Sinus Course, Jamaica W.I… 2002. Course Faculty
- American Laryngological, Rhinological and Otological Society (Triological Society) – Western Section Meeting, February 2002, Course Faculty
- International Association of Dental Research 79th General Session: “Potential Biomarkers for Oral cancers.” Chiba, Japan, June 2001. Course Faculty
- Havana Cuba, University of Havana & Calixto Garcia General Hospital, Division of Head and Neck surgery: Endoscopic Sinus Surgery course September 2000. Course Faculty
- Western China University of Medical Sciences – “Nasopharyngectomy: A Safe Technique.”Chengdu, China, October 2000: Course Faculty
- 7th Biennial Symposium on Minorities and the Medically Underserved: “Cancer of the Larynx in Africans and West Africans.” Washington, DC, February 2000: Course Faculty
- 7th Biennial Symposium on Minorities and the Medically Underserved: “Stage of Oral and Pharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma correlated with proliferative activity using the Ki-67 index.” Washington DC, February 2000: Oral presenter
- Jamaica Dental Association, Jamaica Cancer Society, Junior Doctors Association: “The Unequal Burden of Head and Neck Cancer among Ethnic Minorities”, Ochos Rios, Jamaica, 1999. Course Faculty & Key Note address
- Charles R. Drew University, Department of Emergency Medicine Special Symposium: “The Emergent Airway,” Los Angeles, 1999. Course Faculty
- Howard University College of Dentistry: 51st Annual Postgraduate Seminar: “A new Perspective in the management of Oral Cancers,” Washington, DC, 1998 Keynote speaker.
- Loyola University School of Medicine Department of Otolaryngology / Florida Sinus Institute: Powered Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, Chicago, Illinois, October 1997: Course faculty
- National Medical Association’s Meeting, Seminar: “Sino-Nasal Endoscopy: An Important Diagnostic Skill”, Allergy and Immunology section, Honolulu, Hawaii, 1997: Course faculty
- National Medical Association: Moderator & Section Chair, Head & Neck Surgery, Hawaii 1997: Course faculty.
- Huntington Memorial Hospital: Powered Instrumentation in Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, Pasadena, California, 1997: Course faculty.
- Fourth International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer: “Clinical biopsies in patients with recurrent Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma”. Poster Presentation, Toronto, Canada 1996
- American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery poster presentation: “Incidence and Prevalence of Head & Neck Cancer among ethnic minority patients seen at King/Drew Medical Center” Washington, D.C. 1996.
- Stanford University Department of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery: 8th Annual Symposium: “Temporary Arterial Ligation in Head & Neck Surgery,” Palo Alto, CA. Course faculty, 1996
- Stanford University Medical Center Grand Rounds: Key Note: “Regional Anatomy of the Larynx and Pharynx in Telescopic Laryngeal and Pharyngeal Surgery”, Palo Alto, CA, 1996.
- National Medical Association Annual Meeting: “Management of Nasoseptal Abscess”, Indianapolis, IN – 1992.
- King/Drew Medical Center Grand Rounds: “Management of the Prominent Ears through Otoplasty”, Los Angeles, CA – 1991.
- Georgetown University Medical Center Grand Rounds: “Management of Chylous Fistulae”, Washington, D.C. – 1989.
- Jamaica Dental Association Meeting: “Oral Cancers-Early Diagnosis the best hope for a favorable outcome”, –Course Faculty – Jamaica, West Indies – 1983